April 1 is here, and full enforcement of the ELD mandate has begun.
All non-exempt commercial drivers now need an FMCSA-compliant ELD. If a driver does not have a compliant ELD when required, he/she will be placed out-of-service for 10 hours.
When the ELD mandate became effective on December 18, 2017, the FMCSA and the CVSA announced a “soft enforcement” period until April 1, 2018. The announcements were made to make the transition easier for drivers that qualify for the ELD mandate.
Between December 18, 2017, and April 1, 2018, drivers were not placed out-of-service for not having electronic logging devices. Similarly, ELD violations did not affect CSA scores.
That is no longer the case.
Drivers without compliant ELDs will face the following hurdles:
- They will be placed out-of-service for 10 hours, just like a driver who previously didn’t have a paper log. Assuming that the driver has at least a paper log, he/she will be allowed to proceed to the final destination once the 10-hour period is up.
- After that, the driver will require an ELD before being dispatched on the next trip.
- ELD violations will also affect CSA scores. Poor CSA scores negatively impact your ability to get the best paying loads.
- Fines for noncompliance could range from hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Considering all these consequences, it is crucial that you have a compliant ELD solution. However, apart from an ELD, the driver is also expected to keep the following items:
- A user manual that describes how to operate the electronic logging device.
- An instruction sheet that describes how to transfer hours-of-service records to safety inspectors.
- An instruction sheet for drivers to use in case of ELD malfunctions.
- A sufficient supply of blank driver’s records of duty status graph-grids to record the driver’s duty status and other related information for at least 8 days.
It is estimated that approximately 4 to 10 percent of non-exempt truckers are still without compliant electronic logging devices.
Make sure that you are not one of them.
If you are still looking to buy a reliable, compliant, and feature-rich ELD solution, try KeepTruckin.
The KeepTruckin ELD is the highest-rated ELD solution by drivers. More than 40,000 fleets and 500,000 drivers trust KeepTruckin for their regulatory, compliance, and fleet management needs.
Give it a try by requesting a free demo today.
You can also buy the KeepTruckin ELD online in just a few clicks.
If you have any questions, give us a call at 855-434-ELOG or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our 24×7 active support team is always there to help you.