GPS tracking allows fleet managers to monitor the location of vehicles in real-time. Although it is not a mandatory feature in FMCSA’s final ELD rule, it is considered quite essential in the day-to-day operations of trucking companies.
There are many benefits of real-time GPS tracking for all kind of fleets. In this blog post, we are going to discuss what GPS tracking is and how it can benefit fleets streamline their operations, reduce cost, and increase efficiency.
What is GPS Tracking?
GPS or Global Positioning System is a worldwide radio navigation satellite system that helps us remotely track the location of an object or entity. In the trucking industry, GPS can be used to track vehicles and drivers in real-time.
With GPS tracking installed into ELDs, fleet managers can monitor the locations of their vehicles at any point in time, which increases productivity, streamlines operations, and makes lives easier for fleet managers as well as drivers. There are numerous benefits fleets get because of GPS tracking, and in this post, we are going to highlight some of the biggest benefits of GPS tracking for fleets.
Top 10 GPS Benefits for Fleets
GPS tracking has numerous benefits for fleets and managers. Following are some of the biggest advantages of GPS tracking for commercial fleets:
- GPS tracking allows fleets to find routes that save time as well as money. Smart route planning helps fleets save a lot of money because of quicker deliveries, reduced fuel consumption, and avoiding unnecessary overtime costs.
- GPS tracking makes fleet managers much more productive and focused. With GPS tracking installed into ELDs, fleet managers won’t have to manually call drivers for status updates. They can just track the location of any vehicle in real-time through their web dashboard.
- GPS tracking allows fleet managers to monitor vehicles in real-time and get detailed insights on fuel consumption, engine idling, and bad driving behaviors. After analyzing this data from the fleet management dashboard, fleet managers will be able to identify key opportunities to save money and improve operations.
- Insurance companies often provide special discounts on vehicles that are equipped with GPS tracking.
- Real-time GPS tracking also results in a higher level of consistency. Fleet managers can provide accurate delivery times to customers because of real-time vehicle monitoring and tracking information.
- Digitized records lead to reduced paperwork, which, in turn, improves productivity. With GPS tracking installed into ELDs, fleet managers can access all the data through their fleet management dashboard. Billing and dispatch inaccuracies can also be significantly reduced with digitization.
- By monitoring fleets in real-time, fleet managers can significantly improve driver safety. In the case of an accident, immediate assistance can be dispatched because finding the exact location wouldn’t be a problem with GPS tracking.
- CMV drivers will be more accountable to driving responsibly. With GPS tracking systems installed, truck drivers do not over speed or take hard corners because they know everything will be tracked. It decreases the chances of road accidents and leads to good driving behaviors as well as safer fleet operations.
- GPS tracking also allows fleet managers to help drivers improve how they drive. Fleet managers can identify bad driving behaviors, such as hard braking, hard cornering, and excessive acceleration. Companies can also come up with a reward system to appreciate their best drivers.
- Any fleet that is fully utilizing the power of GPS tracking will become more competitive. With reduced cost, increased productivity, a higher level of consistency and reliability, quicker deliveries, better management, and first-class service, fleet managers will be able to keep their customers happy.
The KeepTruckin’s ELD solution comes with a built-in GPS system which allows fleet managers to view each driver’s real-time location on an interactive map. Additionally, fleet managers can also view the location history for any driver or vehicle to find out exactly where they were at any point in time.
Request a free demo to learn more about KeepTruckin ELDs and how they can help you with fleet management as well as ELD compliance.