While some owner-operators have been hesitant to adopt an ELD solution, the need to stay compliant is a serious one. Owner-operators may find it difficult to constantly remain ELD compliant — a burden that technology can help with.
In this section, we’ll discuss what features make the best ELD for owner-operators. But first, let’s discuss a few of the reasons owner-operators have had challenges when it comes to ELDs.
Common ELD challenges for owner-operators
Cost is often one of the biggest challenges that owner operators face. Some ELD companies charge high prices, and owner-operators can’t afford to use their solutions. Many owner-operators struggle to make enough to make ends meet, especially during the early stages of their business, making it difficult to raise enough capital to buy an ELD.
Owner-operators can’t just raise their charges or service fees to absorb the increased costs of staying compliant. Any attempts to raise service fees above competitor rates can cause a huge strain on owner-operators.
Why owner-operators can benefit from ELD solutions
There’s a lot to be said about the many benefits of ELD solutions to owner-operators, and at the top of that list are the added safety features. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) instituted the ELD mandate in part to reduce the number of road accidents involving commercial vehicles. The FMCSA estimates that, on average, approximately 3,500 vehicle accident fatalities that involve a large bus or truck happen every year.
Through the ELD mandate, the FMCSA is doing what it can to make sure that drivers stay rested and alert, helping ensure road safety. ELD technology also helps automate the compliance reporting process for drivers, so they can spend more time focusing on staying safe on the road.
Different ELDs offer different values to owner-operators, ranging from a good price value to accurate tracking and ease of use. ELDs for owner-operators should be compliant with FMCSA standards, include safety features, be free of errors, and be intuitive.
The best ELDs also have several other benefits for owner-operators:
- Reduced fuel wastage
- Improved communication between drivers and fleet managers
- Fewer Hours of Service (HOS) violations
- Avoid hefty fees associated with getting roadside penalties
- Reduced paperwork and administrative burden
- Generate IFTA fuel tax reports in minutes
- Improved vehicle maintenance
- Avoid road accidents due to truck maintenance issues
What features make the best ELD for owner-operators
A common misconception is that having an ELD is out of the question due to the cost. While some ELD providers do charge outrageous fees, there are several reliable and reputable ELD solutions that are affordable.
Look for a cost-effective way to comply. ELD Mandate Fact has a price comparison chart, where you can compare the most cost-effective ELD solutions in the market.
Look for ELDs that are packed with powerful features — built for drivers — that simplify ELD compliance for owner-operators.
Features to look for include:
- HOS alerts to notify you of upcoming mandatory breaks
- Bluetooth and USB capabilities so you can stay compliant without cellular reception
- Electronic DVIRs that you can create to alert you to any defects
- Automated IFTA reporting that automatically calculates distance traveled and fuel purchased by jurisdiction
- Intuitive user experience that allows you to perform daily tasks up to 50 times faster
- In-cab Wi-Fi so you can connect to a 4G LTE hotspot built into your Vehicle Gateway
- Instant messaging to stay connected with seamless communication
- 24/7 support with experienced technical operators to offer assistance whenever and wherever you need it
For more details about each feature, visit the KeepTruckin ELD compliance solutions page.
The KeepTruckin ELD is an FMCSA-registered, cost-effective, and feature-rich ELD solution for fleets of all sizes. Request a free ELD demo today to learn why the KeepTruckin ELD solution is one of the best ELDs for fleets of all types and sizes.